Free Confidential Consultation
(713) 224-4040 Español
Request Free Consultation
Two people shaking hands

Houston Permanent Residency Lawyer

Here at the Law Office of David A. Breston, we recognize the importance of permanent residency to our immigrant clients and their families, and we are committed to helping them succeed while making the process as easy to understand as possible.


Permanent residency status (which takes the form of the ‘green card‘) allows a person to live and work in the United States indefinitely. For more information on your residency status, contact a Houston permanent resident lawyer today.

Family-Based (I-130) Petition

A U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, parent, or a U.S. citizen adult son or daughter or sibling, may petition USCIS to bring you to the United States; however, the petitioner must already be a citizen or have permanent residency status. You may also be permitted to bring your spouse or minor children with you at that time. For more information speak to a Houston family immigration lawyer.

Adjustment of Status

You may seek an adjustment of status to your permanent residency under certain conditions. For example, if you are currently in the United States as a non-immigrant tourist, student, or employment visa then a relative or employer (either current or potential) can petition for the status change.

Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) Status

There are certain conditions in which non-citizen minors that have been orphaned or abandoned are able to be adjudicated as “dependent” by a state court. This will allow them to apply for permanent residency as a ward of the state or of a legally designated guardian.

Employment-Based (I-140) Petition

Your employer may petition for you to remain in the United States because you possess valuable or unique skills. For more information, contact a Houston employment visa attorney today.

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act):

IF a citizen or legal permanent resident has been abused then the individual can pursue permanent residency without the spouse utilizing the I-360 VAWA self-petition.

Consular Processing

If the immigrant is currently residing outside of the United States, it is possible for a qualified spouse, parent, sibling, or adult son or daughter to file an I-130. If and when this is approved by USCIS, the immigrant then may apply for an immigrant visa through the U.S. State Department.

He or she will have to appear for a visa interview at the U.S. consular visa post located in the immigrant’s home country. After the visa application has been approved then the immigrant is able to travel to the United States and be granted pre-approved permanent residency and accompanying green card.